April 29, 2008

Backwards spot

Here's an interesting concept I found on Steve Babcock's portfolio blog. It's from a few years ago, but I still think it's great.

Here's Steve's write-up:

People with diabetes can drastically reduce the risk of major and irreversible health complications by having their A1C level checked regularly. This is the message the Utah Department of Health wanted to get out to the diabetic community in the area. I created a spot that required the talent to learn his lines in reverse so that when we played the film backwards (to simulate going back in time) we could still understand his message.

In addition to the spot running on television, the raw footage as well as the final spot were both posted on the department website where they drew thousands of views. Incidentally, reverse English sounds a lot like a alcohol-influenced Russian. Who knew?


RAW VIDEO


FINAL SPOT


I remember as an early teen, there was a part on my "Bob & Doug MacKenzie" comedy album that was done backwards (topic: backwards masking). I listened to that record so many times, I too memorized the backwards part. I can still quote it pretty good today. Ask me sometime...