February 06, 2007

Kiss of Death


Bring on the backlash... The recently run Snickers Super Bowl ad has caused so much controversy, they have taken down the website www.afterthekiss.com and have put the brakes on voting for the alternate endings to run during the Daytona 500.

Some of the controversy started yesterday in the blogosphere and one blog (AmericaBlog.com) is one of the harshest critics claiming the website and ads are outright homophobic.

AdRants is running a good story about it (here) with their take on it. They have a point on the fact that some advertisers spend too much trying to entertain than sell, but I think there can be a happy medium. We can't lose sight of the importance of entertaining. Could you imagine a world where every ad on TV was like the Head-On ads. I also think the critics have to realize that humour is very subjective and certain jokes just aren't for everyone. I think where Mars went wrong was taking it too far with the added online component.

After all that, I still think it was the funniest ad, and still my favourite. I guess it wouldn't be the Super Bowl without some form of controversy. I also think some people just have to lighten up. As for me, I'm going to keep eating Coffee Crisps. Now there's a manly chocolate bar!